Introduce Yourself!

Hello, I am a SPT at South College, I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and my full name is Rebecca Romans. I am highly interested in working with persons that fall under geriatrics–providing support and foundational means of wellness is what I aspire to do. I hope to learn things, connect, and ask questions.

1 Like

Welcome @abooher25! Great to meet you!

Welcome @rr6851! So happy to have you on the forums!

1 Like

Hello everybody,

My name is Paul Zeagler. I am an assistant professor in the Department of Physical Therapy at William Carey University in Hattiesburg, MS. I am also currently pursuing a PhD in Health administration and education. I have always enjoyed working with older adults and helping them regain or maintain their independence. I hope to connect with other PTs to share ideas not only for my own practice but for my classes as well.

1 Like

Welcome @pzeagler! Thanks for being a part of the APTA Geriatrics Forums!

Hello, my name is Melissa Westergard.
I am currently practicing as a PTA in the state of Colorado with a mobile therapy company. At this time, I’m also a full time DPT student at the University of Findlay, bridge program.
Working with Geriatric patients is a true passion of mine. One that I discovered 6 years ago when I started in Home Health. The complexity of each pt presents opportunities for growth as a clinician and this fuels my desire to become a DPT. I’m in my 4th semester of a 3 year program, so I still have quite a bit to take in, but it’s been wonderful to be able to apply the new content that I learn with pts at home.
This platform presents a great opportunity to learn from others and get critique on challenging cases.
I look forward to learning from you all!
-Melissa

1 Like

Welcome @melissa.westergard :grinning:

1 Like

Hi everyone,
My name is Cyrus Brown, PT, DPT. Somewhat of a new graduate. I am currently working full time as a home health clinician in Washington, D.C. mostly treating the districts geriatric patients. I have grown to love treating the geriatric population as it provides me with the opportunity to keep elderly patients in their home while increasing their independence to do the things they love. I hope to gain more knowledge and insight to be able to better assist and treat my patients.

1 Like

Welcome @cyrusb96 great to hear from a newer graduate! Thanks for joining the conversation!

Hello everyone!
My name is Jill Jumper. I am the Program Director and Associate Professor of physical therapy in the DPT program at Hardin-Simmons University in Abilene, Texas. I started out as an outpatient manual physical therapist but noticed that most of my patients were older adults. I have loved conversing with these patients, learning their history, and finding creative ways to establish rapport and assist with healing. My hope with this online forum is to get to know others who are passionate about geriatrics and learn some great new ideas.
Looking forward to sharing and getting to know each of you!
Jill
jill.jumper@hsutx.edu

1 Like

Hi everyone!
My name is Natalie Escobedo and I am an SPT, getting ready to graduate from Azusa Pacific University in Azusa, CA. I hope to work in the in-patient setting and/or home health, but I am open to what my post-graduate job will be. I know that I love working with older adults and using therapy as a tool to care for them holistically. I believe the changing patterns of age on one’s brain and body can be truly effective one one’s life and the constant pattern of healing shows up every day no matter one’s age. I am looking forward to connecting with those with experience working with geriatrics and just PT in general, as I still have so much to learn!

I am grateful for this opportunity to read your stories and learn more about this profession,

Natalie Escobedo
nescobedo14@apu.edu

1 Like

Hi Everyone !
My name is Alison Starkey. I trained in UK and graduated over 35 years ago. I worked in Canada and Boston and then made my way to Charlotte NC where I have worked for 30 years. After years in ICU/trauma/ acute/ ALF/SNF/acute rehab I am now the proud owner of “GaitwayofCharlotte” a concierge in home practice that I began 11 years ago. We have a lovely business that specializes in keeping seniors at home and out of nursing homes ! Our main focus is PT,OT and Speech in the home - but a large part of my personal business is Aging in Place. Working as a consultant, I help folks stay home with appropriate DME, renovations and safety plans in place.
I really enjoy this space and will be teaching a course at CSM 2024 on Aging in Place - a guide to what you really need to know as a therapist so that we can all give our patients a choice - so important to empower seniors to make their own choices. We focus on giving seniors excellent treatment at the intensity and frequency we all know will work to produce the best outcomes - we all love what we do !
I married another “brit” and we have 3 teenagers. The two oldest are twins and just went off to college - one in England and one at UNC - Wilmington - she wants to be a PT !
I am an avid collaborator - if you ever have a situation that you might want to discuss - reach out to me on my website at www.gaitwayofcharlotte.com and I’ll call you back. Looking forward to developing many relationships !
Wishing you all the best week,
Alison

2 Likes

Welcome @jill.jumper! Happy to have you here!

Welcome @nescobedo14! Excited to hear you will be graduating soon! We have great members of the Academy who will be able to answer questions you might have!

So nice to meet you Alison Starkey ! Welcome to the APTA Geriatrics Forums!

Mike Studer
I practice in Oregon and in Las Vegas
I am fascinated by what we can do to improve health span.

3 Likes

Hello- my name is Deborah Crea. I’m a practicing clinician- do I dare say, since 1989! I work at a SNF/LTC facility in Newbury Park, CA. I transitioned from acute rehab to SNF in 2011 to gain greater knowledge with the geriatric population and came to love the dementia side as well as the concept to help facilitate quality of life while aging in place. Any opportunity to interact and engage with those with similar skills as well as with those with greater knowledge and insight is always a worthwhile endeavor, so I am looking forward to this forum.

3 Likes

Great to have you as part of our community @MStuder!

Hello @dcrea! Thanks for joining the APTA Geriatrics Forums and introducing yourself!

Hello everyone! My name is Sammy Laswell. I’m a PTA in California. I also have my CSRS for strokes. I’ve been a clinician for almost 20 years now and love working in SNFs. I have done home health as week, my SNFs are my true love! I’m very excited to be a part of this forum. I also sit on the Cognition and Mental health Committee and was one of the co-writers for the cognition toolkit.

3 Likes